Skip to main content

Conjunction, Expression, & Participle

DAILY TEST

(CONNECTORS, PARTICIPLE & EXPRESSIONS)

1. … three people have died of cholera, the old people of the village refuse to get an injection against it.

a. Although c. In spite of e. Despite

b. However d. Since

2. Being a government official, he doesn’t earn much but he ….

a. lives in poverty c. is never happy e. is frequently absent

b. is very dedicated d. is not satisfied

3. … most people know that the success of television show is measured by its rating, few know exactly how shows are rated.

a. Though c. nevertheless e. Because

b. However d. Since

4. Jane’s contact lenses popped out … she was playing basketball.

a. although c. while e. after

b. when d. if

5. They stayed there … they finished their work.

a. as c. because e. until

b. for d. in the hope

6. A black cat ran across the road … I drove my car to work.

a. while c. although e. as

b. after d. because

7. … Mark gets angry, his nose gets red.

a. While c. Whenever e. Consequently

b. Although d. After

8. “The rice will be cooked in about ten minutes. After that, we can eat.” These sentences can be combined as follows:

a. While the rice is done, we can eat it.

b. When the rice is done, we can eat it.

c. After the rice will be done, after that we can eat it.

d. As soon as the rice is done, we can eat it.

e. Before the rice is done, then we cannot eat it.

9. The government is planning to liquidate several banks soon, … very few people know which ones they are.

a. but c. as e. so

b. or d. for

10. “Peggy used to take the bus to school, but last week she bought a car. Now she can drive to school.” This means ….

a. Now that Peggy has a car, she can drive to school

b. Although Peggy has a car, last week she took a bus

c. Peggy bought a car consequently she drove to school

d. Peggy always takes a bus to school

e. Peggy didn’t use to take a bus

11. … she is not interested in classic music, she decided not to go to the concert.

a. Therefore c. Whenever e. In spite of the fact that

b. However d. Since

12. … you are not too busy, could you help me with this work?

a. Due to c. Accordingly e. In case

b. However d. As long as

13. Sinta always enjoy studying science in high school. … she decides to major in the biology in college then.

a. Nevertheless c. As well as e. Furthermore

b. Even though d. Therefore

14. “The day is so nice. The children plan to go to the zoo.” This means ….

a. it is so nice day that the children go to the zoo

b. the day is so nice that the children plan to go to the zoo

c. although the day so nice, the children go to the zoo

d. because the children go to the zoo, the day is nice

e. the children go to the zoo. Therefore, the day is nice

15. I haven’t seen him … he left home this morning.

a. while c. since e. every time

b. when d. as soon as

16. … the school holiday, the students had a picnic on the beach.

a. Because c. As a matter of fact e. Due to

b. Whenever d. Although

17. … we couldn’t see the road while we were driving to work.

a. It was foggy c. It was such a foggy e. The day was foggy but

b. It was a fog d. It was such a foggy day that

18. … he was very tired and didn’t feel well, he went to take the exam.

a. Even though c. Nevertheless e. In spite of

b. However d. Despite

19. He doesn’t want to stay in the hospital … serious illness.

a. in spite of c. because of e. whenever

b. although d. however

20. It was cold. … I went swimming.

a. Even though c. Nevertheless e. Unless

b. Although d. While

01. ... a few million rupiah, he went on a tour to Europe.

c. Saved c. After he saved e. Have saved

d. Having saved d. He has saved

02. The window pane ... by Edi hasn’t been repaired yet.

e. broke c. was broken e. breaking

f. broken d. be broken

03. The first school day is a frightening experience for many children. The underlined phrase means an experience ... many children.

g. that frightens c. who frightens e. it frightens

h. it is frightening d. which will frighten

04. Two of the prisoners were caught by the police ....

i. escape c. escaped e. were escaped

j. was escaped d. having escaped

05. Being an outstanding student of our school, he has been offered a scholarship to study in Australia. The underlined words mean: … of our school.

k. If he is an outstanding student d. As he is an outstanding student

l. Although he is an outstanding student e. As he isn’t outstanding student

m. When he is an outstanding student

06. ... the student prepared a report.

n. Finished his survey d. He has finished his survey

o. Having finished his survey e. He had finished his survey

p. He finished his survey

07. Student ... to attend a student conference in the United Sates should be able to speak English fluently.

q. choose c. have been chosen e. were chosen

r. was chosen d. chosen

08. The passangers of that ... plane were frightened to death.

s. were hijacked c. have been hijacked e. hijacked

t. hijacking d. being hijacked

09. ... that it was getting late, we decide to take a taxi.

u. Realizing c. Being realized e. We realized

v. To be realized d. We had realized

10. Having won the first prize, in an international drawing contest he was given a scholarship to study painting abroad. The underlined phrase means: ....

w. Whereas he had the first prize d. After he had won the first prize

x. Although he had won the first prize e. He was winning the first prize

y. Whenever he had won the first prize

11. The thief ... by the police yesterday had stolen my brother’s motorcycle.

z. who caught c. was caught e. caught

aa. whom is caught d. he was caught

12. Having finished her work, the maid went home. The undelined phrase means: ....

bb. Although she had finished her work d. If she had finished he work

cc. After she had finished her work e. She had to finish her work

dd. She was finishing he work

13. Carrying a pile of books, he called for help. The underlined phrase means: ... a pile of books.

ee. He could carry c. Though he carried e. Having carried

ff. Is carrying d. While he was carrying

14. The castle stood on the top a small hill. The trees ... it were all very old.

gg. surrounded c. surrounding e. who were surrounded

hh. were surrounding d. surround

15. When we come home last night, we saw a man ... to get on out roof.

ii. he tries c. trying e. tried

jj. to try d. to be trying

21. Dina : Tomorrow I will have a math test. This time I have to get a good mark.

Rita : Then, ….

Dina : You are right.

a. I will help you d. you must study hard tonight

b. you may ask me e. you can study now

c. you have to go to your room

22. Albert : I … for my mistake. Actually, I tried to do my best.

Desi : it’s all right. It’s not your fault.

a. pleased c. am satisfied e. am happy

b. apologize d. agree

23. X : Morning, Sir. …?

Y : No, thanks.

a. Can you help me d. Would you help me with this bag

b. Anything I can do for you e. Could you carry my luggage

c. What would you help me to do

24. Fredy : Jane didn’t pass her exam.

Donna : Oh, I’m sorry to hear that.

From the bold type sentence, we know that Donna expresses her ….

a. disappointment c. displeasure e. anger

b. sympathy d. apology

25. Nita : Dian, for our assignment you have a task.

Dian : Okay, what is it?

Nita : You must interview some of our teachers.

Dian : No problem.

The underlined sentence expresses ….

a. request c. pleasure e. surprise

b. obligation d. service

26. “… to find a job?”

‘It’s nice of you to ask. I don’t think I would.’

a. Do you mind my migrating d. Do you think I could go

b. Would you like to go e. Do you have a good chance

c. Could I go

27. Mother : Can you help me?

Daughter : …, mom?

Mother : Get me the newspaper o the table.

a. How are you d. What are you going to do

b. How do you do e. Where is the newspaper

c. What can I do for you

28. “What do you think of the government liquidating several banks recently?”

‘I’m one of the customers of the liquidated banks, so ….’

a. I’m keen on it d. I’m interested in it

b. I’m aware of it e. I’m unhappy about it

c. I’m sure about it

29. “We have been involved in this research for many days. Do you think it will be successful?”

‘… , but I hope so.’

a. Certainly c. I am convinced e. I can’t say that for sure

b. I am certain d. There’s no doubt about it

30. “I think the government should give more attention to small scale industries.”

I think so, because this group offers more job opportunities.’

The underlined words mean that ….

a. we like it c. we object it e. we agree with it

b. we deny it d. we dislike it

31. Clerk : Good morning. Can I help you?

Carlos : Yes. I’m looking for a pair of shoes. How much are these?

Clerk : Well, they are on sale. Only Rp. 200.000,-

Carlos : … ? I’ll think about them.

a. Are they very nice c. Are you kidding e. They are wonderful, aren’t they

b. Can I buy them d. Are they new models

32. Clerk : These jeans are only Rp. 140.000,-

Salmon : …. They are very nice.

a. I’ll think about them d. Well, I’ll take them

b. Well, are you kidding? e. Well, I’m just looking thanks

c. They must be very cheap

33. Clerk : Good afternoon. Can I help you?

Paramita : Yes, …. Do you have a good one?

a. I want to buy a watch

b. Do you have a watch?

c. I’m looking for a watch

d. I want you to give me a watch

e. Do you sell a watch

34. Keiko : Yes, I have a brother and a sister.

Rita : Really? …. ?

Keiko : My brother teaches French and my sister is a doctor.

a. Is he ateacher d. Are they a teacher and a doctor

b. What do they do e. What are they doing

c. Are they working

35. Carlos : Do you drive to school?

Fabrice : No, I never drive to school. I don’t have a car.

Carlos : ….

a. Wonderful d. I’m afraid not

b. That’s a good idea e. That’s too bad

c. Do you want to buy one tomorrow?

Fill in the blanks with the correct connectors

36. … Cornellia is lazy, Sinta is diligent.

37. You can’t get a driver’s license … you are at least seventeen years old.

38. You must wash your clothes … you have nothing to wear tomorrow.

39. You can’t go to the concert … you have got the ticket for it.

40. I know that she doesn’t have a dictionary so I always bring mine … she needs to borrow it.

---gOOd luck---

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conjunction & Tenses

DAILY TEST ( CONNECTORS & TENSES ) 1. … three people have died of cholera, the old people of the village refuse to get an injection against it. a. Although c. In spite of e. Despite b. However d. Since 2. Being a government official, he doesn’t earn much but he …. a. lives in poverty c. is never happy e. is frequently absent b. is very dedicated d. is not satisfied 3. … most people know that the success of television show is measured by its rating, few know exactly how shows are rated. a. Though c. nevertheless e. Because b. However d. Since 4. Jane’s contact lenses popped out … she was playing basketball. a. although c. while e. after b. when

Causative, Conjunction, Expression, & Participle

( CONJUNCTION, CAUSATIVE, EXPRESSION, AND PARTICIPLE ) 1. … three people have died of cholera, the old people of the village refuse to get an injection against it. a. Although b. In spite of c. Despite d. However e. Since 2. Being a government official, he doesn’t earn much but he …. a. lives in poverty c. is never happy e. is frequently absent b. is very dedicated d. is not satisfied 3. … most people know that the success of television show is measured by its rating, few know exactly how shows are rated. a. Though b. nevertheless c. Because d. However e. Since 4. Jane’s contact lenses popped out … she was playing basketball. a. although b. while c. after d. when